Update (9th September):
Saber Interactive has now confirmed 2nd November as the global release date for World War Z on Switch, fleshing out the bare-bones details from the previous eShop store listing. It’ll cost $39.99USD and regional equivalents on the eShop and at retail, and a ‘Deluxe Edition’ at $49.99USD will have various packs thrown in.
A new Switch trailer gives us some optimism for how this’ll shape up, though the proof will come when players get their hands on the game.
The PR blurb below shows that it’s a relatively fully-featured version arriving on the system, but there’s no mention of the upcoming ‘Aftermath’ add-on at this stage, so clearly that hasn’t been included in the porting process so far.
- Story-Driven Co-op Campaign: Outlive the dead through intense four-player co-op campaign episodes around the world set in New York, Moscow, Jerusalem and Tokyo.
- Battle the Terrifying Zombie Swarm: Face hundreds of zombies at a time, brought to life in gruesome detail with incredible firefights featuring explosive firepower and action.
- Get Stronger & Never Surrender: Choose from seven distinct character classes, unlock powerful weapon upgrades, and take on even greater battles in Challenge mode.
- Intense Competitive Multiplayer: Fight real players and the undead in team-based Players vs. Players vs. Zombies (PvPvZ) multiplayer game modes.
- World War Z – Deluxe Edition: This digital version features bonus content including the Lobo Weapon Pack, Biohazard Weapon Pack, Military Weapon Pack, Last Aid Weapon Pack, Signature Weapon Pack, War Heroes Character Skin Pack, and the Professionals Character Skin Pack.
Saber Interactive has established itself as one of the leading Switch port specialists, with recent acquisitions potentially boosting those credentials further. One project that’s been a bit of a mystery since its low-key announcement in Spring 2020 has been World War Z, an ambitious idea simply due to the sheer number of zombies it generates at any given time as you attempt to mow them down. The multi-platform video above gives a good taste of what it’s all about.
Saber Interactive is yet (at the time of writing) to give an update, but eagle-eyed eShop fans have been in touch to highlight that it now has a listing in the European and Australian versions of the store. It’s planned for release on 2nd November with a price of £35.99 in the UK store; its file size is listed as 6.6GB. There’s no equivalent store page on the North American eShop at this stage.
There’s still time for final optimisation of course, and we’re intrigued to see how this one shapes up on Switch. As for whether it’s a game worth getting excited about, our chums at Push Square rather enjoyed the co-op and multiplayer aspects when it originally launched on PS4, though the campaign fell short in their view.
We’ll keep an eye out for more official news on this release; is it one for your wishlist?