Update: pre-orders are live:
Toaplan is a name that will be instantly familiar with seasoned retro gamers. The Japanese company was behind some of the best shmups of the ’80s and ’90s, and when it eventually closed in 1994, studios like Eighting and Cave would rise from its ashes.
We’re already assured of some superb Toaplan action on modern consoles thanks to the efforts on M2, but it’s also worth noting that Retro-Bit is republishing a bunch of classic Toalplan shooters for the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive.
The company has teamed up with former Toaplan staffer Masahiro Yuge to present special collector’s editions of Fire Shark / Same! Same! Same!, Hellfire, Zero Wing and Truxton / Tatsujin. Each title will cost $44.99 / €39,99, or you can buy all four for $159.99 / €144,99.
Each game will include:
- Special interview with developer Masahiro Yuge (specialized per game)
- Full-Color, Individually Numbered Certificate of Authenticity
- Exclusive Vintage 80’s Puffy Sticker Set
- Vivid & Detailed Instruction Booklet filled with artwork and tips to enhance gameplay
- Premium and original art prints
- 16-Bit Cartridge with unique and vibrant colours per game
- Collector’s Embossed Outer Sleeve with colourful and custom design
- Reversible cartridge cover with embellished artwork
- To every person who purchases all 4 shmup games in this collection: a commemorative slipcover, collectable Zero Wing enamel pin, and Thank You Card from Mashiro Yuge
Zero Wing – a game which rose to internet fame by becoming one of the earliest ‘memes’ in the history of the web thanks to its “All Your Base Are Belong To Us” cutscene – will benefit from 30 alternate endings translated to English for the first time ever.
Pre-orders for these titles will open on Monday – are you interested? Let us know with a comment.